Monday, October 25, 2010

Parasites! Parasites! Were not in Kansas any more!


When I was a child and imagined how I'd spend my life and what I'd do I never imagined myself working as a Colon Hydro-therapist! Let's be honest most of us squirm a little just at the thought of getting a colonic. It was over thirteen years ago when I got my first colonic. It was not a quick decision. A friend kept urging me to try it to help clear up my skin of acne. Finally, once I got the courage the get a colonic the world changed for me. Now, I have been a Colon Hydro-therapist for over 5 years and give approximately 1000 sessions a year. Yes, that's a lot of poop! All goes down the drain. No worries.

I've met a lot of people who have digestive problems ranging from acid reflux, indigestion, constipation, Candida overgrowth, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, and more. I stare at a colonic tube for umpteen many hours over the years and there have been a few determinations that have crossed my mind when observing people's poop. Most of us wouldn't dare think that acquiring parasites is a widespread problem amongst the western world. Often, people think that if you catch a critter that you must have traveled to Bangladesh or Nepal to bring those friends home with you. This is not the only way that parasites can be obtained.

About 50% of adults have parasites but do not know it. There are many different kinds of parasites. Many parasites are called pinworms, amoebas, protozoans like Giardia, hook worms, flukes, and tapeworms are a few of those nasty fellas. They can be acquired in different ways such as by the water supply, spoiled food, eating rare meat, at day care centers, contamination of food, sexual contact, a pet licking your face or walking barefoot on grass or in a lake. Crazy huh? I try to always wash my raw produce in water before eating, but to be honest I am not always perfect at this task. I know the best defense toward not ingesting any parasites is to wash raw food thoroughly in filtered water and use either hydrogen peroxide or apple cider vinegar in the water and scrub it with a brush. Even the most pristine raw foodies have to be concerned about parasites. I have heard of many educators claiming that if your body is pure enough that it is not a concern. I know of three purist 100% raw foodies that have had problems.

Beware of eating in the finest restaurants and juice bars. Watch how well a juicer is cleaned or if the Chefs have washed their hands properly before preparing your food.

Symptoms of parasitic infliction are: feeling tired all the time, digestive problems such as gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea that comes and goes, food sensitivities/allergies, environmental intolerances, joint and muscle pain/inflammation, anemia/iron deficiency, rashes, restlessness, multiple awakenings/interrupted sleep, anxiety, grinding teeth, excessive bacterial/viral infections, depression, snoring, asthma, difficulty gaining or losing weight no matter what you do, Candida program not working/can't conquer sweet cravings, oily greasy stool, itchy butt, ineffective digestion and absorption of fats, or just don't feel great.

Parasites interfere with a healthy immune system. The body becomes overwhelmed by the poisons and toxins generated by parasites. They release toxic gases, secretions and waste materials. Ammonia is one of the gases parasites excrete. These toxic secretions strain the immune system that can make you feel tired a lot. These toxins accumulate in the colon, and create a congested liver, followed by an overload to the skin, lungs and kidneys.

There are small parasites that are microscopic in size such as protozoans like Giardia, and amoebas. They travel anywhere in the body via the bloodstream. They can get into our joints and eat calcium that lines our bones. They can eat the protein coating of our nerves called the myelin sheath that disrupts the nerve signal to the brain. They behave more like an infection in the body. They can reproduce without laying eggs by reproducing themselves.

Large parasites are worms and can be seen by the naked eye. They can grow up to 10-15 inches long and lay eggs. They don't usually travel outside the digestive tract. These worms can cause anemia and interfere with vitamin B12 metabolism. They can be acquired by a dog licking your face, or by eating meat.

Many people have been misdiagnosed with a peptic ulcer but the real problem is round worms, mislabeled with ulcerative colitis but have amoebas, think they have chronic fatigue and yeast infections but underlying cause is Giardia, and diabetes or hypoglycemia caused by tapeworms.

Many of my clients who suffer from symptoms of Candida overgrowth and have been working extra hard to heal themselves with probiotics, and a low sugar, highly alkaline diet are not always successful. Why? Once tested properly many of these clients are shown to have parasites. Once the parasites are extinguished then the constipation problem heals like a miracle, and the bloat/gas are gone. Candida regains its balance in the body.

Parasites create an irritation and stress in the body. They eat, lay eggs/or reproduce, and secrete. They feed off our food and off of us! They take our food, fatten up and leave us what's left over. Drowsiness after a meal is another sign that worms are present. They can suck nutrition from our cells. Some people may have trouble keeping weight on for this reason. Parasites enter the digestive system and quickly find their way to our vital organs. Parasite can be found anywhere in the body such as the brain, heart, and lungs. They usually go to the liver at first chance. They can cause a physical trauma to the body by the perforation of intestines, the circulatory system, the liver and so on. When chyme is released into the perforated intestines it oozes into the lymph system. Allergies are the first reaction. Which means that parasites erode and create holes out of your organs. Then, things get complicated on how to get rid of parasites in the true sense of the word GONE.

Testing is not always accurate, as 1 out of 4 people are diagnosed correctly to have parasites. I refer most of my clients to a gastrointestinal MD in NYC who has traveled the world and can diagnose a much wider variety of parasites than a regular test. He gets a sample along the intestinal wall where critters love to hang out. On you! The next best choice of tests is a stool test kit. I like ‘Doctors Data’ stool collection kit. Also, you can get a blood test. Here's Dr. Kevin Cahill's contact info (212) 879-2607. He is not a holistic doctor.

Most of us probably have some parasites and would rather not want to think about it. I am so sorry to even suggest that this is the possible reason for poor digestive problems. I have heard that supplementing with a Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin can create a barrier against acquiring parasites. HCI is a supplement that supports having good stomach acid. Most people over age 40 really should supplement with it at every meal containing fats or protein foods. If you feel a warm or burning sensation in your belly then discontinue use. Take as directed. Those critters won't get past that acid.

I will blog again soon with more information on how to get rid of parasites. You are welcome to come see me for a session so we can discuss some options that I have heard have worked. Please consult a healthcare practitioner before taking on any new regimes or supplements.

2 comments:

thecontinentalcat said...

Excellent Blog Donna. Do you have anyone you might recommend on the West Coast, nutritionist,colonic therapists, etc...

FOODSCI said...

New Mellinium Clinic
Los Angeles, CA

310-670-9344